Monday, February 4, 2013

Just as Long...

The quote:
"You can survive anything just as long as you know when it's going to end."

The back story:
When I was a child I found absolutely no comfort in these words because it meant that whatever commitment I was trying to squirm out of was going to stay in my life until I'd seen it through.From the age of 4 I was required to play one sport a year, before cheerleading there was soccer and tennis, both of which I complained bitterly about. Mama wouldn't let me quit though. When I got older it was the first few summer jobs I had, one summer I started out washing hair, then moved to helping clean houses and finally ended up washing dishes in a coffee shop in Monroe Georgia called Brewberries. I was 13 and furious that I had to work, but it was only for the summer and Mama assured me that the summer would be over soon. It wasn't until I got older, until I was 19 and trying to leave an abusive marriage, until I was 22 and trying to work 2 jobs and go to school, until I was 24 and juggling friends, work and my Mama's surgeries and PT after being hit head on by a drunk driver going 70 miles an hour, no, not until then did I realize how right she was. If you can find that spot in the distance, that date on the calendar or that moment when relief will come, you can make it through. You damn well better, Mama says.

No comments:

Post a Comment