Monday, March 11, 2013

The Quote:
"You just want to get your ass kicked don't you?"

The Back Story:
I was looking through an old photo album, pictures of my grandmother and them, and came across a picture with a rebel flag hanging in the background. It's not all the surprising, there's still a rebel flag hanging in my Mama's house today, but it got me to thinking about how it meant something a lot different to her and past generations of my family than it does now, or at least, different than what the majority associates with those who fly it. I asked her if why she didn't take it down seeing as how so many people associated it with racism and not freedom. She didn't have much to say on the subject, other than offering me a whupping. She's not ignorant or close minded, but my Mama'll be damned if someone is going to step on her liberty, that's what that flag means to her. I guess I'm kind of proud of that pride, she is my Mama after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment